2.03.2013

Feet #1 & Other Thoughts

First of all, a word of explanation.

I've been reading and studying some artists online that have inspired me to work harder at my art. One suggestion they've been throwing out there for people trying to get better is to post your updates and progress no matter how bad they are. For me, it's chronicling my journey so that I can hopefully see marked improvement over time and serve as a good example to others. As embarrassing as a lot of this stuff is, and despite most of it being nothing pretty to look at, I'm throwing it out there for myself as much as for you all.

I just don't get the attraction
Mr. Tarantino...

So here's my start to Sunday's studies. Feet and hands have so many minute curves that the drawing will look completely off if you don't get the essential ones in the right spots...it can be maddening.



On a different note, a few days ago I found a website with some amazing portraits of everyday people with very interesting faces. These are people with physiognomies that you could never come up with on your own.  Most of them look like they stepped off the pages of Eightball. As a quick exercise I did this mess:

Nope, still not a portrait artist...
I thought the dude had an interesting face, but (sadly) like so many people on this planet, he just doesn't look like a happy person. Maybe he was just pissed about something that day.


Fitness Update:

During the last quarter of 2012, I managed to pull off about a 3.5 month run of the P90X fitness program. I've been heavier than usual for the past four years and I was tired of being exhausted all the time. I managed to make some good muscle gains and fat losses and felt a lot better...then the holidays came along with Mr. Food Poisoning and Mr. Seasonal Flu, and that was that.

Since I've been trying to get my art progress in order, I decided today that I would start up my fitness regime again.  After all, it will be a lot harder to do daily studies and illos if I don't have the physical energy. Mind and body health are tied together pretty tightly with me, so I don't want to risk falling into old habits.

I don't mean to bore anyone with this, but I thought I'd post my progress here with my art updates as well. If I can inspire just one person out there to get motivated and feel better about themselves, then it will be worth it.

Week 1 - Day 1: Chest / Back / Abs


No comments:

Post a Comment