8.27.2011

Frost Mage Sketch

Click For Larger Version

A quick sketch from today.

A creeping and gradually overwhelming sense of discouragement followed my last piece.  I spent many hours over three days on my orc, and it just didn't come out very good at all.

In an attempt to loosen up and get something accomplished quickly, I did this sketch.  I really didn't want to invest a lot hours and face another big disappointment this soon after my last illo.  I worked very loosely on this one and found it much less stressful to just play around with the new color scheme and learn some happy accidents with photoshop.

I've been looking for knowledge on painting techniques in many different places. Today I found an artist who discussed his process, and I thought I'd give it a try.  After the initial sketch was done, I laid down a sepia underpainting to work out the tone and lighting.  From there I built up the colors slowly.  I think the darker underpainting gave everything a much richer feeling, something that was lacking in earlier pieces.


No comments:

Post a Comment