8.27.2012

Alien Astronaut Portrait

"Alien Astronaut" is also my non-existent
garage band's name.

At a time like this it's important to keep your mind busy, so today I decided to paint over this sketch that I pulled from my book. Sometime around May I was trying to kick-start my imagination by doing concept sketches of astronauts from alien races, and this guy came up with his octopus-like features. Despite his appearance, I imagined that his race was not a hostile one, but more about the exploration of new worlds.


While doing my best to take care of poor old Max over the weekend, I also spent time watching tutorials and crits online, looking at a lot of paintings, and studying techniques, lighting, and composition theories.

It was originally going to just be a sketch like the past few posts, but I decided I liked it enough to put some more detail into it.

Despite the standard flaws, this piece is definitely progress for me when it comes to composition, lighting, and paint techniques. For now I'm pretty happy with it.



No comments:

Post a Comment